Monday, June 15, 2009

First Posting

I've been considering creating a blog for a while now, and today I decided to just break down and do it. One of the things that kept me from creating this long ago was that I could not decide how I would use it, for personal reflections, or to show people what I've been up to or thinking about. From reading a few friends blogs, I guess in general these are used for a bit of both, which is good enough for me.

I've been very busy as of late. Some of the things that I've been working on / up to are a bit on the confidential side, but I think this weblog will be a good place to display some of the other projects and activities I'm engaged and interested in.

Let's start with the basics:
  • I am living in Troy, NY.
I graduated from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in December with a BS in Mechanical Engineering. I'm still here working on some projects. Troy's a nice quiet post-industrial cafe. It's a great place to get work done. I grew up in Worcester, MA - the punkest city on the planet, and I miss it on a daily basis. However, I think I will be making a move in the coming year to someplace new.


  • I am teaching myself electrical engineering.
I probably should have studied to be an electrical engineer, as a solid understanding of how electromagnetism and circuitry works is truly powerful. Living in a society that is dominated by electronics, every day I find myself using devices and systems that are at least immediately beyond my comprehension. The internet, television, radio, and microwave ovens are truly amazing. Humanity has used electronic technology to enable exactly what it wanted, namely instantaneous entertainment, communication, and convenience. However, I am sure the practical advantages of manipulating electricity and magnetism have not yet been exhausted, in fact I don't believe the surface has been more than scratched! I imagine what might have been discovered or developed if our efforts in these fields were focused on problems of necessity or societal improvement instead of luxury, for instance. Regardless, being able to understand and manipulate today's technology allows for some real innovation, and is a whole lot of fun!


  • I ride a bicycle.
Having a car is a needless and unreasonable option for me at my current place in life. I actually don't understand how this isn't the case for most Americans. I learned to ride a bike relatively late in life (13, 14?), but once I started, I was hooked. I ride fast, but I don't race very often. I am absolutely in love with cycling, and I cannot suggest to anyone enough to make the switch from city driving to getting around by bicycle. I'm sure I will post more about this later.


I hope that was a decent introduction.
You'll be hearing from me again real soon.

1 comment: